Need Help Caring For Your Parent?

When caring for your elderly parent, you may need help from time to time. That help can take many forms, but what kind of help is appropriate, and who can provide it?

Full-time Residential Care

If you are like most adults with a family of your own, you may not be able to provide the level of supervision and support your elderly parent needs. Naturally, you want your parent to enjoy the comfort and familiarity of home. Yet providing inadequate medical care, cognitive stimulation and mobility assistance can put your parent’s health and safety at risk. There may come a time when you should look for a good residential care facility Missouri. There are many options, so visit several sites in person. Find one near you so you can maintain constant contact and visit your parent often.

Part-time In-home Care

Your parent may need aid with just a few daily tasks. Hiring an in-home helper is a good option if your parent needs support during bathing, dressing or using the toilet. Other common services include preparing meals to meet special dietary needs, administering mediation and assisting with transportation. You can ensure your parent gets a program tailored to his or her particular needs, while enjoying the comforts of home. Moreover, you and your parent are free to nurture your personal relationship and enjoy each other’s company.

Occasional Support

When your parent first moves in, there will be an adjustment period for everyone in the home. Prior to the initial move, you may want advice about modifying your surroundings. You may have concerns about your parent’s safety, especially if there are mobility issues to consider. Occupational therapists often provide home visits, which can be immensely helpful. These professionals can identify safety hazards and recommend installing items such as tub handles and hallway stability rails. They can also evaluate an elderly person’s ability to perform routine daily activities and prescribe exercises that can help with flexibility and balance.